Past Club Presidents first
Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

C.A. BARTON, PRESIDENT 1917-1919

Dues were set at $2.00 per quarter with a $5.00 initiation fee. The Secretary would be paid an annual salary of $25.00 On June 17, 1917 the club raised $2200.00 for the Salvation Army with 30 people committing money at the meeting. In addition, the club voted to raise $2500.00 for the Red Cross.

The Club in February 1919 moved to raise money for the new YMCA building.

Leo Falk joined the Club in June 1919. The Club's membership consisted of the Who's Who of Boise.

JUDGE CHARLES P. McCARTHY, PRESIDENT 1919-1920

The Club in December 1919 formed a committee to study the need for increased teacher salaries and take recommendations to the School Board.

The committee on Train Service between Boise and Nampa reported on April 1, 1920 that the service would be increased within the next two weeks.

Boise hosted its first District Conference March 26 and 27, 1920 with Joe T. Young of Pocatello as District Governor. International President Bert Adams of Atlanta spoke.

WILL N. NORTHRUP, PRESIDENT 1920-1921

Lew Ensign addressed the Club on August 26, 1920 in reference to securing the New York Philharmonic Orchestra for a performance in Boise at a cost of $2500.00.

Harry Morrison, founder of MK, was proposed for membership on September 23, 1920.

On January 20, 1921 Fred Bicknell brought up the matter of starving babies in Europe. The Owyhee Hotel agreed to donate next week's luncheon if each member brings an invisible guest and the proceeds would go to helping these starving children. $804.10 was raised.

On April 14, 1921 the Club met at the Interurban Depot and rode the train to Nampa to visit the Nampa Club, which received its charter on April 1, 1920.

Sam E. Brookover, father and grandfather of current members Gordon and Gary Brookover, was welcomed as a new member on April 21, 1921.

JESS B. HAWLEY, PRESIDENT 1921-1922

Clint Norquist on August 4, 1921 reported the Boys Committee had made arrangements for the necessary trucks to take the Boise Council of Boy Scouts to their summer camp at Smith Ferry and return.

The Boys Committee reported on September 1, 1921 that the committee had taken the children from the Children's Home to the Selis-Floto Circus.

On February 9, 1922 the Club set up a revolving fund of $100.00 to assist high school students who are working their way through school.

By the February 23, 1922 meeting the Club had grown to 77 members.

Ladies Night was held March 2, 1922 at Fred Bicknell's home with 100 in attendance.

In April 1922 the Club sent $50.00 to the Moscow Idaho Rotary Club to be added to the loan fund for students at the University of Idaho.

The first Rotary Golf Tournament was held on May 18, 1922.

In June 1922 the Club paid the expenses to send six Boy Scouts to summer camp.

CHARLES JOY, PRESIDENT 1922-1923

In October 1923, one meeting was held at a special place: the 17th Street Power Station of Idaho Power Company. The club gave $60.00 to the Near East Relief to take care of an Armenian girl for one year.

The District Governor spoke in November and reported the club had an 81.27% attendance record.

Ladies Night was held in December and the format was a regular meeting followed by dancing.

In January 1923 the Club gave $100.00 towards the Railroad Main Line to Boise Fund.

W. P. PUTMAN, PRESIDENT 1923-1924

In July 1923 the board agreed to pay the expenses for five Boy Scouts at summer camp.

In August a memorial meeting took place honoring the deceased U. S. President Warren Harding. Various speakers including Idaho Governor C. C. Moore emphasized the love and esteem in which he is held by the American People. The club stood and bowed their heads for three minutes, then faced the American flag and sang the Star Spangled Banner.

Upon a motion by Joel Priest, the Secretary was instructed to purchase a picture of President Coolidge to hang at club luncheons.

In October the Secretary announced the resignation of Harry Morrison, founder of the worldwide construction firm Morrison Knudsen. He was unable to attend meetings due to his heavy travel schedule.

President Upham of the University of Idaho spoke in November to the Club and highlighted the football team.

In December the Club sent a truckload of apples to the Children’s Home.

Judge Chalfant asked for five volunteers to sponsor juvenile delinquents.

The Annual Ladies Night was held in January 1924 at the Owyhee Hotel. The "Bucket of Blood" orchestra provided excellent music. Entertainment included three vaudeville numbers and the Club Talent Committee presented special stunts.

In March 1924 the Public Affairs Committee reported that it would confer with educational authorities on the matter of a Junior College in Boise.

Tom Hoscot reported on May 5, 1924 that the Educational Committee was concentrating on the boys who would graduate from grade school in June to motivate them to attend high school. Rotary was supplying each student a leaflet “Why I Should Go to High School” and a Rotarian was addressing each graduating class.

W. EDGAR GRAHAM, PRESIDENT 1924-1925

U. S. Senator William Borah spoke on August 14, 1924 on the subject "Observations on States’ Rights". He called attention to the dangerous drift of the times in centralizing the government and taking away from the states matters, which inherently belonged to them. A bureaucratic government, wasteful, corrupt and inefficient will be the outcome, he said.

On August 29, 1924 Colonel Padgham spoke on National Defense and especially on the reason for "National Defense Day" which is September 12, 1924. He stated that the Defense Act of 1920 provided for a small standing army with the second line of defense composed of National Guard and Reserve Corp. In case of national need, the great body of the army would come from the citizenship, and Defense Day is for the purpose of finding out if this act is feasible.

On December 18, 1924 the Boys Choir from Saint Michaels Cathedral rendered a program of Christmas carols. A check for $50.00 was given to the Salvation Army Rescue Home and $25.00 to the Salvation Army.

On February 24, 1925 the board authorized Clint Norquist to use part of the Special Children's Home Fund to endow a bed in the new addition in the Children's Home.

Dr. Sam Forney with classification of Physician joined the club on March 26, 1925.

On March 31, 1925 Harry Yost appeared before the board on behalf of KFAU and asked for a donation to help meet the expense of making Boise a class B radio station. The board approved $50.00.

H. R. RISLEY, PRESIDENT 1925-1926

The Club took the children from the Children’s Home to the circus on August 6, 1925.

On November 5, 1925 the Crippled Children’s Fund was created. The project involved screening crippled children in Boise area under the supervision of a specialist from the Mayo Clinic. Rotarians involved with the project were Sam Brookover, Sam Forney and Ralph York.

The Club donated $50.00 to the Salvation Army Maternity Home on December 22, 1925.

On June 2, 1926 a letter from the Principal of Whitney School thanking the Club for the 8th grade Boys picnic was read.

REILLY ATKINSON, PRESIDENT 1926-1927

Money was given to send needy Scouts to Boy Scout Camp in August.

Charley Sensil reported on November 2, 1926 that the Boys Work Committee with the Superintendent of Schools, Probate Judge and the Children’s Home were arranging to look after delinquent boys. Also the Committee was again planning to put on the Boy’s 8th grade picnic.

Herb Risley reported on December 2 that the Crippled Children’s Committee had arranged a clinic for crippled children with Dr. Henderson from the Mayo Clinic and the Boise medical fraternity on December 29.

On December 21, 1926 $50.00 was donated to the Salvation Army Maternity Home.

At the May 24, 1927 meeting the following donations were made; $100.00 to the Boy Scouts and $50.00 to the Red Cross Flood Relief. The Boys Work Committee was authorized to purchase the necessary number of booklets “Will It Pay Me to Go to School” to be distributed to the 8th grade pupils.

Charles T. Wrightson, Manager of Varney Air Mail Lines, discussed the “Problems of Aviation” at the June 6, 1927 meeting.

Funds were needed to send eight boys to Boy Scout Summer Camp. Donations were solicited at the June 30 meeting.

CLINTON L. NORQUEST, PRESIDENT 1927-1928

John Philip Sousa spoke at the October 13, 1927 meeting.

Captain Aussoner of the Battleship Idaho spoke at the October 28, 1927 meeting and Mayor Hanson presented him with a picture to be hung on the ship.

The Boy Scouts were given $100.00 at the December 6, 1927 meeting.

At the February 9, 1928 meeting J. P. Congdon spoke on the History of the YMCA.

On May 15, 1928 $20.00 was appropriated for the St. Anthony Industrial School Field Day.

FRANK BREWER, PRESIDENT 1928-1929

The request from the Business Women’s Club to sponsor a Bathing Beauty was denied on August 7, 1928.

On August 16, 1928 Professor Musatti of the University of Southern California spoke on Beneto Mussolini.

On December 18, 1928 the Board of Directors authorized the usual Christmas shopping for the Salvation Army and the Children’s Home.

On April 7, 1929 Ed Peasley of the Boys Work Committee reported on the case of a crippled child. Doctor Coates volunteered his service and the club would cover expenses up to $50.00 to care for the child.

JOHN P. CONGDON, PRESIDENT 1929-1930

Rotary International informed the club on July 18, 1929 of the plan to form a $10,000,000.00 Foundation.

The October 3, 1929 meeting was turned over to Reilly Atkinson of the International Service Committee, who introduced Signor Marco Barone, whose subject was “Women, Tramps and Burros”.

At the November 7, 1929 meeting Home Hudelson gave a splendid talk on Armistice Day and the meeting closed with a band playing the Star Spangled Banner.

A case of oranges was given to the Children’s Home and $50.00 to the Salvation Army Maternity Home on December 17, 1929.

Miss Lucy Higgins, President of Business and Professional Women’s Club of Boise spoke on January 9, 1930. Her subject was “Better Business Women for a Better Business World”.

At the January 9, 1930 meeting the Davidson Grocery Company passed out “Spud” cigarettes.

On May 20, 1930 Ed Peasley proposed F. C. Hummel for membership.

At the June 10, 1930 meeting $15.00 was donated to Flag Day exercises at the St. Anthony Industrial School and plans were made to have a float in the Pioneer Day parade.

C.J. SINSEL, PRESIDENT 1930-1931

The American Legion Drum Corps played at the July 3, 1930 meeting and it was described as “good but loud”.

On November 11, 1930 $100.00 was given to the Boise Welfare Bureau through the Community Chest and on December 11, 1930 $50.00 was given to the Salvation Army.

The National Red Cross was given $50.00 on January 22, 1931.

On March 5, 1931 Mr. J. J. Hansaker spoke on “Prevention of War”.

JOE M. IMHOFF, PRESIDENT 1931-1932

$50.00 was given to the Salvation Army on December 15, 1931.

On January 12, 1932 the cost of luncheons was reduced to 55 cents and quarterly dues to $12.00.

At the March 10, 1932 meeting Bishop Barnwell announced that the Episcopal Church had decided to open a Junior College at St. Margaret’s School.

R.H. SIGLER, PRESIDENT 1932-1933

On August 30, 1932 the club decided to discontinue weekly publications due to the depression.

The Salvation Army donation was reduced by $100.00 on December 13, 1932 due to limited funds.

On March 25, 1933 the club decided not to have a Ladies Night due to finances.

The Club on June 6, 1933 sent $10.00 to St. Anthony School for Flag Day.

RALPH W. YORK, PRESIDENT 1933-1934

The Club on November 14, 1933 gave $100.00 to the Community Chest for Emergency Relief.

On February 13, 1934 $25.00 was donated to the Sea Scouts to assist in moving a boat from Seattle.

CLYDE E. SUMMERS, PRESIDENT 1934-1935

On December 4, 1934 $35.00 was given to the Salvation Army Maternity Home.

Jess Hawley moved, on April 2, 1935, that the Club sponsor Troop 32 of the Boy Scouts and that the Boys Work Committee be in charge of the project. The motion was seconded and carried.

WALTER J. BRUNGER, PRESIDENT 1935-1936

The Club on December 3, 1935 gave $50.00 to the Salvation Army Maternity Home.

Ladies Night was held on February 27, 1936.

On April 14, 1936 $25.00 was given to purchase band music for the Penitentiary Band.

Troop 32, which was sponsored by the club, on April 23, 1936, put on a drill program.

At the June 4, 1936 meeting the sons and daughters of Rotarians entertained.

FRANK A. RHEA, PRESIDENT 1936-1937

On July 14, 1936 $50.00 was donated towards improvements at the Boy Scout Camp in McCall.

The first Past Presidents Day was held on October 29, 1936.

At the December 3, 1936 meeting F. W. Auburn, Director of the YMCA in Jerusalem, Palestine spoke on the conditions in Palestine.

On December 29, 1936 the Club donated $10.00 to the Society of the Blind for Idaho.

The Red Cross for Flood Relief received $25.00 on January 26, 1937.

Mr. M. A. George, the Federal Representative in Boise in charge of the Social Security Act, on January 21, 1937, explained the act as far as he was able to do so and answered questions as far as his limited knowledge of the act would permit.

On February 9, 1937 the club purchased Boy Scout uniforms for needy boys and they would repay on a monthly basis as they earned money.

THEO H. WEGENER, PRESIDENT 1937-1938

At the September 9, 1937 meeting Henry de la Chapelle of E. W. Dalton and Company spoke on the “Economic Outlook” which he pictured in very dark terms.

On October 12, 1937 Ken Hartzler was elected to membership with a classification of “School Music”.

The club donated $25.00 for rose bushes in the Rose Garden on November 16, 1937.

The Salvation Army received a donation of $50.00 on December 14, 1937.

On April 12, 1938 the club purchased leather goods and tools for use by crippled children.

Jay Hill, a blind organist, entertained on the Hammond Electric Organ on May 28, 1938.

JOHN A. SCHOONOVER, PRESIDENT 1938-1939

At the September 22, 1938 meeting Miss Virla Hinshaw, who had recently returned from seven months in Germany spoke to the Club.. Her talk was “Hitler Pro and Con” and she saw no evidence of war preparation.

The Club decided on November 15 to arrange with the YMCA to give memberships to deserving boys.

Harry Morrison, playing his guitar, led a quartette at the December 29 meeting.

On February 9, 1939 the Club quartette, composed of Fred Cahriton, Mack Dodds, Art Holland and Ken Hartzler performed. “It was pretty rotten”.

A joint meeting with the Kiwanis was held on March 23, 1939. The Rotary and Kiwanis Quartettes performed. The Kiwanis group was good.

AUSTIN A. WALKER, PRESIDENT 1939-1940

On September 24, 1939 Dr. Frank Sprague introduced Superintendent of Schools Vincent who spoke on the evils of marijuana.

Fred Gans of the Philip Morris Co. spoke, on September 28, 1939, on the evolution of the Tobacco and Cigarette Industry.

In December 1939 $50.00 was given to the Salvation Army and $25.00 was appropriated for crippled children at hospitals.

The January 25, 1940 meeting was cancelled due to the funeral of Senator William Borah.

On May 2, 1940 $25.00 was given to the Junior Baseball League.

JOEL L. PRIEST, PRESIDENT 1940

DR. HUGH B. CULVER 1940-1941

The annual golf tournament was held October 10, 1940 at Hillcrest Country Club.

On October 29, 1940 the Student Loan Fund was established and had loaned $420.00 with a balance of $147.00 on hand.

On November 26 $100.00 was given to the Salvation Army Maternity Home. Radios were purchased for the crippled children’s ward at the hospital.

At the April 3, 1941 meeting, Joe Dollard, April program chairman, introduced Frank Church. He was the recent winner of the National American Legion Oratorical Contest. He delivered his winning oration entitled “The American Way’.

On April 15, 1941 $25.00 was donated to the Junior Baseball League.

As of April 22 luncheon at the Owyhee Hotel would be 75 cents.

DR. ARTHUR C. JONES, PRESIDENT 1941-1942

In August 1941 the club paid $112.08 to send boys to the YMCA camp.

At the November 4, 1941 meeting the Club appropriated money to provide shoes for needy children.

On December 2, 1941 mirrors were purchased for two hospitals so crippled children could watch themselves exercise.

In December 1941 the following donations were made: $25.00 towards the purchase of a piano at Gowen Field, $100.00 to Defense Red Cross Drive, $125.00 for a new refrigerator in the Salvation Army Maternity Home, and $25.00 to the Rotary Relief Fund.

Programs throughout 1942 dealt with the war and a lot of entertainment came out of Gowen Field.

POTTER P. HOWARD, PRESIDENT 1942-1943

On July 7, 1942 $100.00 was authorized to send underprivileged boys to Boy Scout Camp.

The Club purchased a $100.00 Defense Bond on September 11, 1942.

At the October 8, 1942 meeting Ken Hartzler led the singing, which was his farewell performance before leaving for the Navy.

On December 2, 1942 $500.00 was approved for Boys Work Committee projects.

At the January 14, 1943 meeting, Elaine Barker of the OPA spoke on the Point Rationing of Food. Her comments were rather unintelligible.

The American Red Cross received a $100.00 donation from the Club on March 14, 1943.

HENRY L. SENGER 1943-1944

On November 14, 1943 the Club helped underwrite the deficit from operations at the YMCA Recreation Center.

Two hospital beds were purchased for the Salvation Army Maternity Home for $70.00 on December 19, 1943.

Robert S. (Bob) Gibb and future District Governor joined the Boise Rotary Club on February 3, 1944.

RUSSELL M. ASH, PRESIDENT 1944-1945

GEORGE H. FIELDS, PRESIDENT 1945-1946

On February 5, 1946 $25.00 was appropriated for the Music Committee.

Membership for the Club stood at 91 on March 14, 1946, which was a new high.

The Club gave $50.00 to the Girl Scouts on May 21, 1946 to be used for the girls at the Children’s Home.

On May 28, 1946 it was reported that our attendance passed 80% for the first time since 1938.

ARTHUR H. CAINE, PRESIDENT 1946-1947

On December 3, 1946 the following donations were made: $25.00 to the American Red Cross for the Veterans Hospital, $50.00 to crippled children, boxes of candy to the Children’s Home and Christmas gifts to hospitalized veterans.

The Club gave $20.00 to send a boy to Boy’s State on May 6, 1947

ELWOOD M. BEVINES, PRESIDENT 1947-1948

The Club paid $110.00 for eight boys to attend YMCA Camp on August 21, 1947.

On September 14, 1947 the annual picnic was held at Harold Finch’s farm home on Curtis Road. O. C. Marler was chairman. Over 190 attended the gala affair and Bud Finch’s Orchestra provided music.

The Club provided a float in the American Legion Parade on September 18, 1947.

At the December 9, 1947 meeting $50.00 was approved to give to crippled children for Christmas.

On June 8, 1948 R. E. Gustavel was approved for membership and the Club voted to open each meeting with the singing of “America”.

J. LYLE CUNNINGHAM, PRESIDENT 1948-1949

In August 1948 the Club sent three boys to Boy Scout Camp, three girls to Girl Scout Camp and six boys to YMCA Camp.

On September 1, 1948 interest free student loans were made available up to $500.00.

The Club organized the Knot Hole Club, which allowed boys under 16, who could not afford the admission to attend athletic events. The Club provided potatoes for underprivileged children’s lunches.

On October 5, 1948 the Knot Hole Club took 37 children to the Boise-Meridian Football game.

Dr. Richard Forney, a future District Governor, became a member on October 14, 1948.

Lt. J. C. Whittaker, second in command to Captain Eddie Rickenbacher, spoke to the membership on October 20, 1948.

At the December 8, 1948 meeting the Club voted to give support to obtaining a swimming pool at Boise Junior College.

The Club sent old clothes to a Rotary Club in Greece on January 11, 1949.

At the February 9, 1949 meeting it was suggested that every Rotarian send a letter of self-introduction to an overseas Rotarian with the same classification.

The Club approved, on April 2, 1949, to send two high school students to summer music camp at the University of Idaho.

As of April 28, 1949 only Fred Bicknell, Will Northrop, Reilly Atkinson, C. C. Anderson, J. Lyle Cunningham, and Don S. Whitehead are the remaining charter members of the Club.

O. C. MARLER, PRESIDENT 1949-1950

At the May 18, 1950 meeting R. E. Gustavel introduced Morley Nelson who exhibited a falcon and the movie hunting with a falcon.

The Youth Service Committee donated the following: $50.00 each to the Knot Hole Club, YMCA Camp, YWCA Camp, Boy Scout Camp, Girl Scout Camp, Salvation Army Music Camp in Portland and the University of Idaho Music Camp.

As of June 1, 1950 the best attendance records were held by Harold Finch 99.2%, George Fields 97.5% and Dick Forney 96%.

“Women of Rotary” was founded to foster friendship among Rotarian’s wives.

KENNETH D. DUKES, PRESIDENT 1950-1951

On September 6, 1950 the Club approved funding the Scramble Calf Raising Activity. Rotary puts up money to buy a calf, which is entered in the fair with calves from other sponsors, which are then turned loose in an enclosure. Boys catch the calves, raise them, and sell the calves with half the profit going to the boys and the other half to the sponsor.

In November 1950 the Club sponsored five boys to the annual YMCA Summer Camp.

The Board of Director decided in December 1950 to revive the annual Bean Feed at the YMCA with the proceeds going to membership for needy boys.

At the December 27, 1950 meeting Bob Gibb said, “I resolve not to subject the club to singing ‘Stodola Pumpa’ this year”.

In May 1951 the Board of Directors established policy for student loans. The maximum annual amount to a borrower is $500.00 with a total amount of $1000.00

WALTER WAGSTAFF, PRESIDENT 1951-1952

In October 1951 Harold Finch proposed Boyd Brown for membership. George Richardson, a future Club President, joined the club in December.

Dues for the Boise Rotary Club were raised to $22.50 per quarter in February 1952.

CLYDE E. BUTTING, PRESIDENT 1952-1953

On July 28, 1952 George Richardson was appointed to head the “House Committee” whose function will be to air and listen to the gripes about meals and other annoyances.

Gail de Witt, chairman of the Youth Service Committee, was appointed to represent Rotary on the Bogus Basin Snow Removal Committee on September 23, 1952.

On December 19, 1952 Rotarians volunteered to help the Red Cross set up and take down movable blood donating machines.

Rotary International announced on March 31, 1953 that George Fields of the Boise Rotary would replace Philip Lovejoy as Secretary of Rotary International.

R. MOWBRAY DAVIDSON, PRESIDENT 1953-1954

Harold Finch was apprehended on July 15, 1953 for flying his airplane within 50 feet of Boise businesses and dropping “I Like Ike” buttons. Among those hit by the falling pieces of metal was Rotarian George Richardson.

As of September 1, 1953 only one student has taken advantage of the Student Loan Program. It was felt that the program needed to be evaluated.

On January 14, 1954 future District Governor Dr. Bill Forney became a member of the Boise Rotary Club.

During March 1954 the International Information Committee sponsored an essay contest, for high school students, with the subject “America and Peace Today”. The Rotary Club provided prize money.

J. ROGER MENDENHALL, PRESIDENT 1954-1955

Future District Governor Mendenhall was elected President of the Boise Rotary Club and announced that starting next week there will be a special table that will serve salad. The table will be placarded and anyone who sits there will receive a salad.

The annual Rotary Picnic was held August 12 at Harold Finch’s farm on South Curtis Rd.

In September 1954 Morley Nelson became a member.

When Bob Gibb walked into the Rotary meeting on November 30 a spontaneous outbreak greeted him for being named a life member of Rotary.

On February 8, 1955 the Club gave the Crippled Children’s Home a tape recorder.

Steve Brown, age 9, son of Rotarian Boyd Brown and grandson of Rotarian Harold Finch was introduced at the February 15 meeting that focused on scouting. Steve is a Cub Scout and gave a fascinating speech without a note.

HAROLD M. JONES, PRESIDENT 1955-1956

Attendance was discussed at almost all meetings as the Boise Club has had difficulty in maintaining good attendance. The Club started this year with 147 members, added 15 and lost 9.

On August 30, 1955 the yearly budget for donations was: Youth Service $250.00, Music Scholarships $135.00 and miscellaneous $150.00.

Leo J. Falk, a long time member, passed away and the Club had a moment of silence in his honor on August 20, 1955.

The Club gave on January 10, 1956 a TV set to the children’s ward at St. Alphonsus.

The election of new officers for the Boise Rotary took place on March 15, 1956 and three ballots were needed to elect Joe Wright as Vice President.

On May 22, 1956 the cost of lunch was raised to $1.25.

The Club sponsored Boise High students at the summer music camp at the University of Idaho.

Foreign student, Inge Krupe from Germany, attended Boise High and was sponsored by Boise Rotary.

HAROLD C. FINCH, PRESIDENT 1956-1957

Democrat Eddie Springer on July 3, 1956 was admitted to the Club so that the club could boast that it had a two-party system.

On July 24, 1956 five members of the Rotary International Visitors (now called Group Study Exchange) spoke to the Club.

The Community Service Committee reported on August 14 that they had provided a camping experience for six underprivileged boys.

Dues were raised on October 23 from $22.50 to $25.00 per quarter.

On December 4, 1956 a Special Drive was made for the Rotary International Foundation and 25 members responded at the meeting with contributions.

The Youth Committee, chaired by Gus Rosenheim, announced that over 300 young people attended the Y-Rotary Teen-Age Dinner Dance on New Years Eve sponsored by the Club. Rotarians and their wives were hosts and hostesses for the affair.

Gus Rosenheim also chaired the Polio Drive (March of Dimes) for 1957.

At the June 13 meeting Tom Charrey, Chairman of the Special Project Committee, announced a special project to build an infirmary on the YMCA grounds on Payette Lake. Rotarian Cecil Jordan checked the plans and offered suggestions to assure efficiency. Many Rotarians offered volunteer help and others agreed to furnish a day’s pay. The maximum cost was set at $3000.00 and the funds were available. R. E. Gustavel, Youth Service Chairman, filled the Club in on many details and spoke highly of the work done by E. R. Hooper and George Hjort.

JOE I. WRIGHT, PRESIDENT 1957-1958

The dedication of the Rotary Health Lodge, the new infirmary on the YMCA grounds on Payette Lake, took place on August 11, 1957.

The Club again participated in the Scramble Calf Raising Activity. The format changed slightly with two-thirds of the proceeds going to the boys and one-third going into a revolving fund to purchase calves the next year.

The children from The Children’s Home were taken on a shopping tour for Christmas.

At the May 6, 1958 meeting Nancy Huntley, pianist, and Karen Roberts, vocalist, were given scholarships to the Summer Music Camp at the University of Idaho.

R. E. GUSTAVEL, PRESIDENT 1958-1959

Special Projects for the year included sponsoring boys to Boy’s State, taking orphans to the Puppet Theater and giving music scholarships for the University of Idaho Summer Music Camp.

On January 13 President Gustavel announced that 244 young people attended the successful Y-Rotary New Years Dinner Dance and that 100 pounds of fried chicken was served.

C. C. Anderson, the last remaining charter member of the Boise Rotary Club passed away on January 20, 1959.

Rotarian Dr. Jerry Burton on April 28, 1959 gave a report on crippled children. The Boise Rotary Club has been very active in supporting crippled children activities since the Club was chartered. Also at the meeting Vic Clemones, Chairman of Community Service Committee, announced that the Club had contributed to the new permanent shelter at Bogus Basin.

At the June 2, 1959 meeting President Gus Gustavel commended Rotarian Ken Hartzler for the excellent handling of Music Week.

A. C. Jones, Chairman of The Special Project Committee, announced that the Club gave $350.00 to build a Rotary Fireplace in the new Ann Morrison Memorial Park.

ROBERT D. CAMPBELL, PRESIDENT 1959-1960

On July 14, 1959 the Club contributed $209.50 for Musical Scholarships.

At the July 21 meeting President Campbell announced with considerable pride the President of Rotary International Harold T. Thomas would be at the Boise Rotary Club meeting on August 13, 1959.

Program Chairman, Gus Rosenheim, presented a program on the pros and cons of a new Coliseum in Boise.

The Ladies of Rotary staged another one of those wonderful Rotary Picnics on July 28. There was plenty of good food and Bingo led by Bill Brownfield at the cage.

The Boise Rotary Club was the first Rotary Club in the United States to have the President of Rotary International, Harold T. Thomas from New Zealand as a visitor and speaker. He spoke to the Club on August 13, 1959.

At the September 15 meeting it was announced that quarterly dues would be raised from $25.00 to $27.50.

Rotarians contributed an even $200.00 to the Children’s Home at the September 29 meeting.

The Club with 175 members had an attendance of 74.48% for October. It placed the Club 39th out of the 46 Clubs in the district.

DR. RICHARD A. FORNEY, PRESIDENT 1960-1961

The Club contributed $500.00 of improvements to the Children’s Home playground.

A new Rotary flag was flown outside the Owyhee Hotel each Thursday.

New attendance records were set for both the annual picnic and Ladies Night. Average attendance for the year was 74%

The Club continued to support the Rotary Foundation Fellowship for students.

At the June 29, 1960 meeting the Mayor of Boise, Eugene Shellworth spoke.

W. L. GOTTENBERG, PRESIDENT 1961-1962

On July 6 Roger McGinnis of the Boise Chamber of Commerce spoke to the Club. His topic “Boise a Second Class City” disturbed many Rotarians.

Bill Campbell, designated the outstanding young man in Boise in 1957, joined the Club on July 18, 1961.

President Gottenberg on July 25 urged all Rotarians to learn “The Four Way Test”.

At the September 28 meeting Bob Morris of Mountain State Telephone spoke on the use of satellites by private industry.

On October 5 the members viewed the World Series on TVs provided by the Owyhee Hotel.

Ernie Day spoke on October 19 about the proposed Wilderness Bill currently under consideration by Congress. Art Roberts of the Southern Idaho Timber Protective Association spoke the following week on the negative aspects of the bill.

At the December 5, 1961 meeting the Classification Committee outlined the many open classifications as a method of gaining new members.

The Club celebrated International Student Day on February 22 with foreign students from BJC and local high schools as our guests for lunch.

Music Week was observed on April 12 with students from Boise’s two high schools providing the entertainment.

The Special Project Committee and the Board of Directors recommended to the members on May 1, 1962 that the Club assist the YMCA with a new dining hall at Camp Ponderosa. The Club will match member’s contribution up to $1000.00.

WILLIAM JOHNSON, PRESIDENT 1962-1963

On August 9 the family picnic was held at Julia Davis Park.

Rotarian Len B. Jordan was appointed to the U. S. Senate.

On August 16, Colonel Bragg, a member of the board, presided over the meeting. It became his assignment (unfortunate duty he called it) to remind the members of the attendance rules of Rotary International and the Boise Rotary Club. He said the Board of Directors has no alternative but to cancel the membership of any member who misses four consecutive meeting without a legitimate excuse. Also if one’s attendance falls below 60%, he is subject to dismissal.

On October 11 The Right Reverend Norman L. Foote, Bishop of Episcopal Church of Idaho, spoke on the “Ecumenical Movement”.

Rotarian Cal Wright, Director of IRS for Idaho, spoke on February 7, 1963, about the new Travel and Entertainment guidelines.

Ladies Night was celebrated on February 28 in the Crystal Ballroom.

As of April 23, 1963 seven Boise Rotarians have qualified as “Paul Harris Fellows”.

President Johnson on May 7, 1963 announced that the Club’s attendance was dismal as usual. The Club was ranked in the Below Average Category.

BOYD BROWN, PRESIDENT 1963-1964

John H. Smythe, Attorney General of Sierra Leon, Africa spoke to the Club on August 21. His topic was “Transition from Colonialism to Independence”.

Kristin Timothy, daughter of Rotarian Bob Timothy, participated in “Operation Crossroad Africa” in Nyassland. She spoke to the Club on September 2 about her experience in Africa.

On October 8 the Club viewed the World Series on TV sets provided by the Owyhee Hotel. Former major leaguer, Larry Jackson, provided the commentary.

On October 31 Rich Jordan presented President Boyd Brown with the trophy for the Rotary Club wining the “Y-Lympics”, which is athletic competition among all service clubs in Boise sponsored by the YMCA .The program for the day was Tom Roach, a member since 1925 and President of Idaho Power, who spoke on “Bonneville Power”.

The Club was saddened by the death of Bishop Frank Rhea of the Episcopal Church. He was an active member of Boise Rotary from 1930-1957 and President 1936-1937.

On November 12 Dr. Gus Rosenheim, Chairman of Rotary Foundation Week announced that $1.00 would be added to each Rotarian Quarterly Bill as a contribution to The Rotary International Foundation.

Colonel Bragg reminded Rotarians to fly the American Flag on Christmas and New Years Day.

On December 19 the Boise High School Choir presented a Christmas musical program.

Vern Emery on February 6, 1964 read the Horoscope of the 15 Rotarians at the birthday table.

Rotarian Bryce Bennett, Head of Idaho Transportation Department, spoke on February 20 about “Boise and the Interstate”.

On March 3 the Owyhee Hotel announced a 10 cents increase in the cost of lunch. The Board increased the quarterly dues by $1.30.

The Rotary International Foundation received $39,295.83 from a trust set up by Paul P. Harris.

Robert Hansberger, President of Boise Cascade Corporation, spoke to the Club on June 18, 1964.

C. H. BRAGG, PRESIDENT 1964-1965

Alan Sheppard, Idaho Attorney General, spoke on July 30. His subject was “Implications of the Supreme Court Decision on Apportionment”.

The annual picnic was held on August 6 in Julia Davis Park with the Boise Elks Band entertaining.

On August 11, 1964 the Boise Rotary Club contributed $3543.16 to Rotary International Foundation.

Florence Jones, a 13-year-old victim of rheumatoid arthritis went to Camp Easter Seal with assistance of the Boise Rotary Club.

On September 8, Rotarians Bob Hendren and Glenn Lundgren were elected to the Boise School District Board of Trustees.

Ralph Harding, Congressman from the 2nd District, spoke to the Club on October 29, 1964.

The Club sponsored James Thomas to the 1964 Gem State Boy’s State.

The Boise Rotary Bowling Team Captain, John Eklund, contends on December 10 that we should no longer be called “The Old Man’s Club” since we won the Bowling Tournament Trophy—by forfeiture, no less.

Don Day, prominent Boise Businessman and future Rotarian, presented a live wire discussion on the need for a four-year college in Boise at the December 17 meeting.

President Colonel Bragg on January 28 reported that the Club attendance hit rock bottom in December. Of the 48 Clubs in District 542 we were number forty-eight.

On March 2, 1965 the Club was honored as a 200% Club for its contributions to the Rotary International Foundation.

Don Bailey, Chairman of the Special Projects Committee, indicated that the Club would match individual member’s contributions up to $2000.00 for a much-needed utility building at the Boy Scout Camp in McCall. Members at the April l1 meeting pledged $880.00 and the remaining funds were pledged by the end of the month.

THOMAS C. FRYE, PRESIDENT 1965-1966

The process to foster another Rotary Club in Boise was started but was not acceptable to the majority of members. Until the early 1980s membership in the Boise Rotary Club was the who's who of Boise. Membership criteria were: the active member should be an adult male person of good character and good business or professional reputation. He should be engaged as proprietor, partner, corporate officer or manager of a recognized business or profession.

Carol Ann Mortimer was the winner of the Rotary Scholarship to the University of Idaho Summer Music Camp.

President Frye announced on December 14 that the special fund he had been collecting from fines would be distributed as follows: Community Christian Center $100.00, The Glen Haven Home $100.00, The Day Care Center for Retarded Children $150.00, The Children's Home $100.00 and Booth Memorial Hospital $82.33.

Ladies Night was celebrated February 10, 1966 with Rotarian Dick Vandenburg's Orchestra providing the music.

During Boy Scout Week the Club gave the Boy Scouts a check for use at their camp in McCall.

ROBERT S. GIBB, PRESIDENT 1966-1967

On December 1, 1966 members volunteered to man the Salvation Army Christmas Kettles.

Don Bailey mentioned the discourtesy shown by members to speakers by encroaching upon their time and then taking an early exodus from the meeting..

Dr. Gerald Larson and Rod Johnson reported on March 16, 1967 on the proposed project of the construction of a dock at Camp Alice Pettinger with an estimated cost of $4400.00. The Boy Scouts already have $1000.00 and the Club donated the remaining funds.

At the April 20, 1967 meeting President Bob announced the following contributions for summer activities: Boy's State $40.00, Camp Easter Seal $40.00, Girl Scouts $45.00 and YMCA $45.00.

The 50th Anniversary of the Boise Rotary Club was celebrated with a dinner on June 15, 1967 in the Crystal Ballroom of the Boise Hotel. Eugene C. Dorsey, Publisher of the Statesman, acted as Master of Ceremonies.

On June 22. 1967 a check was given to the Girl Scouts as the Club's first installment on our pledge for waterfront improvements at their summer camp.


Researchers Note: The material covered is intended to give a broad perspective of a variety of projects, familiar names in the community and activities in which members were engaged over the years. Material contained in this history was obtained from club minutes, bulletins and documents which are located in the archives at Boise State Library. In addition living Past Presidents contributed information on their term of office